As insecurity in Queen Elizabeth National Park continues to scare away tourists, Uganda tries to blame it on Rwanda by claiming that it has arrested 44 Rwandans nationals in the Park

In what seemed to be  a psychological operation to insinuate a break through by Ugandan security forces in the search of an American national Kimbley Sue Endecott and her Ugandan driver Jean Paul who were on 2 April 2019 kidnapped by four armed men in Queen Elizabeth National Park, the Ugandan media oulets were yesterday awash with reports of the arrest of 44 Rwandan nationals in thesame park. This is however, diversionary and is instead an operation by CMI recruiting for RNC which went bad.

On Friday, the Rwenzori east Regional Police Commander, Vincent Mwesigwa told reporters that 44 Rwandans were intercepted by traffic police officers at Katunguru aboard two passenger min-buses on Wednesday. “When they were asked to identify themselves, they all produced Rwandan Identity cards but had no migration documents  allowing them entry into Uganda,” he said.

By the time the Great Lakes Eye filed this article, information from Gatuna border indicated that the said 44 Rwandans had been deported by Ugandan authorities and received by Rwandan immigration officials on 6th April 2019 at 1:30 a.m. Their age ranges from 17 to 41 years. Most of them hail from Burera and Gicumbi districts bordering Uganda. They also said that they were taken to Uganda through illegal entry points by people who promised them casual labor in tea plantations in Mbarara and Uganda, only to be arrested by Uganda police and detained for three days in police custody for not being in possession of valid travel documents. Contrary to the police version that they were arrested while travelling in two passenger minibuses, they said that they were travelling in different vehicles and they did not know each other until they found themselves together in the police custody.

A source who intimated to Great Lakes Eye, however, assessed that considering the RNC intensified recruitment activities in Mbarara and Kasese districts, in western Uganda, it is most likely they were enticed by RNC operatives in conjuction with CMI who promised them jobs in Uganda with ultimate goal of forcebly recruiting them to join RNC bases in eastern DRC.

This assessment is reinforced by the fact that they are all still young in their 20s and 30s and that unlike other Rwandans arrested in Uganda who are deported and dumped at the border after being tortured in prisons, these ones were not tortured. The government of Uganda could have decided to deport them after the operation to take them to the DRC for enemy recruitment went bad as it had started appearing in the social media that there were Rwandans heading to DRC from Uganda. The Ugandan government therefore wanted to avoid a situation like Kigagati incident, where the government aligned the RNC recruits in courts and the suspects later released, a situation that further brought to the limelight Ugandan support to RNC. The truth will keep coming out!

One thought on “As insecurity in Queen Elizabeth National Park continues to scare away tourists, Uganda tries to blame it on Rwanda by claiming that it has arrested 44 Rwandans nationals in the Park

  1. May be to add more on this, Ugandan security operatives need to be reminded to never play its dirty games in the name of securing the Ugandan citizens and the like. If you look at the games played around the American tourist kidnapped in Queen Elizabeth Park, and the reported recruits by CMI on behalf of RNC on the other hand, then you will have to conclude that actually the RNC and their allies were the kidnappers and of course needed the requested ransom to survive during their trainings taking place in Bihanga barracks of Ibanda and finally in DRC.

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.